Historical Society

Preserving our History...Preserving our Future
  • 1886 Village Schoolhouse
    Our Center Harbor Village Schoolhouse (1886), home of the Centre Harbor Historical Society and Museum, is located at 94 Dane Road/Route 25B. It is listed on the NH State Register of Historic Places.

Welcome to the Centre Harbor Historical Society!

The Centre Harbor Historical Society was founded in 1971, under the guiding force of Gladys Bickford (1911-1997). The Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.  Its mission is to collect and preserve objects and facts of historical interest to the Town of Center Harbor, NH. The Society also participates in projects designed to preserve or improve the Town's historical image.

The Centre Harbor Historical Society is housed in the 1886 Center Harbor Village Schoolhouse, which is listed on the New Hampshire Register of Historic Places.  The  Village Schoolhouse is owned by the Town and leased to the Society for $10 per year. Children began attending classes in this one-room schoolhouse in 1886.  A second classroom, the "little room", was added in 1902.  First, second and third grade students were taught in the "little room", and grades 4 through 8 were held in the 1886 classroom.  (Eventually, grades 7 and 8 were moved to the Humiston School in nearby Meredith, NH).  In 1970, the school closed. Now it serves as the Schoolhouse Museum and contains the Society's collection of documents and artifacts. It is open during July and August on Saturdays from 10am to 2pm. It is located at 94 Dane Road (Route25B), a short walk from the Town docks, past the Kona Fountain and the Nichols Library. 

The Centre Harbor Historical Society hosts educational programs of historical and cultural interest at its meetings on the 4th Thursday of the month from April through October. These programs are open to the public and are offered free-of-charge. Donations are greatly appreciated.